You are wired for pleasure. One source for feeling ALIVE is via your nervous system. This physiological system is responsible for a variety of vital functions, including, but not limited to, controlling muscular movements, increasing your energy when public speaking, and naturally calming you down.
An aspect of the nervous system is the Sensory-Somatic (SSNS), a branch of the peripheral nervous system that monitors your external environment. This SSNS gives you access to respond to your surroundings using your five senses of taste, touch, smell, sound, and sight.
Imagine if you didn’t have the ability to taste an organic strawberry, see a purple lily, hug a loved one, hear your favorite song, or smell cookies fresh from the oven?
Your senses provide powerful pathways to delight in the simple pleasures of life. Goodness knows, we need as many reminders as possible that life is here to enjoy – alongside navigating the harder moments of being human.
Try this simple 7-Step Sensory Practice:
- Make a list of the five senses and choose one simple and satisfying experience for each.
- Identify when you will practice each. You could do them all at once, highlight one per day or week, or another way that resonates with you.
- Create a little time before and after – it can literally be one minute – to become present with your sensory practice.
- Consciously FEEL and receive the experience of taste, touch, smell, sound, and sight
- Notice what you notice, without judgment. What did you learn? What are you taking away?
- What is another choice you can enliven this experience more?
- Give thanks for your senses and remember to come back to them!
A bonus benefit of this practice is the process of s-l-o-w-i-n-g down. Your nervous system loves this! Our culture is highly values moving fast, pushing through, and getting on to the next thing. We do not have sufficient role models to remember to downshift and restore. However, your very own body shows you this wisdom. Claim it, practice it, and feel more like the true you!
Questions, comments, aha’s? Feel free to connect with Lisa@SoulisticArts.com and learn more about how to feel more connected, comfortable, and confident in your body http://www.soulisticarts.com
Lisa Medley, MA, CMT believes as we create more love in the body, we create more love in the world. She serves as an Embodiment Mentor and has over 20 years’ experience in the healing arts including a MA in Expressive Therapy, life and wellness coaching, therapeutic massage and bodywork, somatics, energy medicine, and conscious movement & dance. Lisa is energetically sensitive that blesses her with a strong divine connection and challenges her to stay centered in an overwhelming world. She has discovered that honoring body wisdom is the key to sustaining wellbeing and soul evolution with more ease and grace. Learn more http://www.soulisticarts.com