The human body requires specific vitamins and minerals to function optimally. A well-balanced diet can reduce or even eliminate the need for supplementation. Those vitamins and minerals are often not adequately absorbed from the foods we eat, so supplementation can be a valuable addition to a healthy diet. As a woman and as you age, your body has different needs. Here is a list of 10 supplements women should consider taking for Good Health.
The needs of women are similar to, but not exactly the same as those of men. Women must understand the RDA (recommended daily allowance) for women and follow it to the best of their ability.
Consider these supplements to optimize your health:
Many women are deficient in this vital vitamin. Your skin can indeed produce vitamin D in the presence of sunlight, but that might not be sufficient if you don’t spend enough time outdoors regularly.
● Vitamin D has many functions, but its roles in calcium absorption and boosting your immune system are among the most important.
● The current RDA for women under 70 is 600 IU per day. That number increases to 800 IU per day for those over 70.
Ideally, all the vitamin needs of the human body should come from the diet. However, eating a balanced diet that addresses every vitamin and mineral is not always easy. Taking a multivitamin can o ensure that you meet your daily requirements.
Calcium is a primary component of bones. Osteoporosis is a real threat to all women as they age.
● Women under 50 years of age require 1,000 mg per day.
● Those over 50 need 1,200 mg per day.
Fiber aids in gut motility and may help to lower cholesterol. Certain types of fiber also serve as food for gut bacteria. A healthy diet provides plenty of fiber, but if you’re not eating a healthy diet with ample fiber-rich food, a supplement can help.
● The current recommendation for women is 25 grams of fiber each day.
While you can live without most dietary fats, consuming essential fatty acids in fatty fish or fish oil supplements is necessary.
● There is no set recommendation for essential fatty acid intake. It doesn’t take much. As little as a gram, a day could be sufficient. Follow the label instructions.
Many health issues start in the gut. A healthy gut dramatically increases the odds of having a healthy mind and body.
● Again, follow the label instructions.
If you eat a lot of meat, you probably don’t need a vitamin B-12 supplement. However, supplementation will likely be necessary if you’re a vegetarian or vegan. This vitamin does many things in the body, including the building of DNA and red blood cells.
● Mayo Clinic recommends that all adults consume 2.4 micrograms of vitamin B-12 per day.
● Vitamin B-12 is unique because it is water-soluble, so if you take too much, it harmlessly passes in the urine. It can also be stored in the body in relatively large quantities, so taking B-12 weekly or monthly is acceptable, provided the dose is sufficient.
Menstruating women lose blood, which contains iron. One of the primary roles of iron is oxygen transport in the blood.
● Premenopausal women are advised to consume 18 mg/day.
● Postmenopausal: 8 mg/day
Melatonin is a hormone that is part of the sleep process. If you sleep well, melatonin supplementation is unnecessary. On the other hand, if you have difficulties sleeping, a melatonin supplement might help you to fall asleep and stay asleep.
● Try 1-2 mg to start, 30 minutes before bed.
● A total of 3-4 mg is acceptable if necessary.
For pregnant women, folate is necessary to prevent a specific congenital disability. Folate has several other roles in the body, too.
● For women without risk of becoming pregnant: 400 mcg/day.
● Women with a chance of pregnancy: 800 mcg/day.
Of course, the best place to start is to talk with your physician. Follow your doctor’s advice. Supplements are not all created equal, and if you have existing gut issues, absorption can be an issue. You don’t want your supplements flushed down the toilet.
It’s also important to realize that getting too much of a good thing is easy. Taking too much of any supplement can be much worse than not taking it at all. Follow the directions on the label.
I recommend supplements that are whole foods and have liposome technology to drastically enhance your cell’s ability to absorb and use what you consume.
Become familiar with the foods that are high in the nutrients above. Several of the supplements listed above may be unnecessary for you if you eat a nutritious diet.
Let’s create your perfect wellness pack.